Sunday 6 April 2014

Imagine If #Nigeria’s Footballers Had To Do NYSC


Imagine Stephen Keshi calling Mikel Obi after he just graduates from his youth soccer academy in London …
CALL STARTS
john_obi_mikel“Mikel, I think you should play for Nigeria. I mean the way you move with and without the ball is something that other players foreign and local could learn from. I know you already have a multi-million job offer with Chelsea, and we don’t want to disrupt that agreement, we just require that during the African cup of Nations you leave your club for about 2 months to represent your country and that you are available to train when called upon. Plus the government will pay you if you win…it might not be on time but they will pay up.”
“Ah Keshi…I would love to play for Nigeria. No need to ask me even. I love my country die! When and where do I sign” Mikel replies.
Then Keshi lowers his tone and says “There is one problem Mikel o…have you done your NYSC?” and Mikel is like “NYSC? No now I have been in the London youth academy training for the past 4 years. You recommended I come here to Europe to hone my skills.”
Keshi then replies “Ah…you know you cannot really play for Nigeria unless you have done your NYSC.” long silence…
Then Keshi is like “But it is not a problem…all you have to do is attend a 3 week orientation camp in Nigeria. I mean the camp is not the greatest, soldiers will scream at you almost everyday. And the toilets might not work all the time. In fact you might have to sling shit over the fence on some days. But you will survive”
Still silence…but Keshi continues “And then after you leave camp you have to play soccer for a rural football club in the village for 9 months…they really don’t have electricity or running water except for the occasional rain that brings falling water and electric thunder…but the government will pay you 30K a month.”
“30K dollars a month? I might be able to manage that.” Mikel finally replies, breaking the preceding silence.
“Actually Mikel its 30K Naira” Keshi replies. Silence…
“Hello…hello…Mikel are you there? Mikel. Mikel….” dial tone…CALL ENDS.
------------------------------------FOR THE FULL ARTICLE CHECKOUT THE SOURCE BELOW..............................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment